Μακρύ και Στρογγυλό

Stream trouble

I just had a stream of objects I wanted to sort and convert to a list. Optionally it should also be limited to a maximum number of entries. Piece of cake with Java 8:

Stream<T> stream = collection.stream().sorted(comparator);
if (max >= 0) {
  stream.limit(max);
}
List<T> result = stream.collect(Collectors.toList());

Or so I thought... The code above throws an IllegalStateException at runtime, stating that the "stream has already been operated upon or closed".

The cause should be obvious. However it took me a while to find it, so I am posting it in case other people (possibly you when you came here via search engine) get stuck at the same place. Stream operations are very likely to return a different Stream object. The limit() method is such an example. In my code above, limit() operates on the stream and returns a limited stream. However I just throw away the returned stream and invoke collect() on the original stream, which was now already operated upon.

The solution is simple:

if (max >= 0) {
  stream = stream.limit(max);
}
Mavenize your Sass

Sass is a kind of precompiler for CSS that offers additional features like nested styles, variables or includes. The syntax of scss files is similar to standard CSS, so it's very easy to learn.

My goal is to:

  • nicely integrate Sass into the Maven build process,
  • use Jetty to see the web application with the compiled css files, and
  • see changes to a Sass file live (without running Maven or restarting Jetty).
Read this article...
Hibernate 4 schema generation with Maven

While upgrading my blog software Cilla to Java 8 and Hibernate 4, I found out that the old hibernate3-maven-plugin refused to create schema.sql files. Well, it wasn't really surprising. The name of the plugin already implied that the plugin won't play with the next major release of Hibernate.

I could not spot an official update of the plugin. Instead, I found Kai Moritz new Hibernate 4 maven plugin, which turned out to be very useful.

One key feature is to set up and initialize a local database for unit testing. I don't need this feature for Cilla (yet 😉). All I need is a hbm2ddl style generation of a SQL schema file for setting up new instances of my blog software from scratch. It turned out that the plugin was easily configured that way, and so it got almost a drop-in replacement for the old plugin.

This is what the <plugins> section of the project's pom file looks like:

<plugin>
    <groupId>de.juplo</groupId>
    <artifactId>hibernate4-maven-plugin</artifactId>
    <version>1.0.4</version>
    <executions>
        <execution>
            <goals>
                <goal>export</goal>
            </goals>
        </execution>
    </executions>
    <configuration>
        <hibernateDialect>org.hibernate.dialect.PostgreSQL82Dialect</hibernateDialect>
        <target>NONE</target>
        <type>CREATE</type>
    </configuration>
</plugin>

With the target set to NONE, the schema.sql file is quietly generated while building the project. If set to SCRIPT, a copy will be dumped to stdout.

A CREATE type only generates create statements of the database. The default is BOTH, which creates drop and create statements.

Since no actual database is created, there is no need to add user, password and url parameters.

A list of all configuration options can be found here. The plugin is available at Maven Central.

maven-release-plugin and git fix

After hours of trying and wondering why my release scripts suddenly stopped working, I found out that maven-release-plugin seems to have an issue with git on recent systems. If you invoke mvn release:prepare and find out that the release process just runs against the current SNAPSHOT instead of the release version, you likely stumbled upon bug MRELEASE-812.

The reason for this issue seems to be that mvn release:prepare parses the output of git status. However the status is localized in recent versions of git, and maven-release-plugin fails to parse the localized output.

The coming fix will probably use git status --porcelain, which returns a machine-readable output. However, for the time being

LANG='en_US.UTF-8'
mvn release:prepare

is a valid workaround.

hibernate3-maven-plugin fails with Java 1.7

If you're using Maven's hibernate3-maven-plugin for creating a DDL file from your entities, you might encounter the following error when using Java 1.7:

Execution default of goal org.codehaus.mojo:hibernate3-maven-plugin:2.2:hbm2ddl failed:
An AnnotationConfiguration instance is required

The reason seems to be a broken JRE detection in the Mojo code, which mistakenly assumes that Java 1.7 does not support annotations. However, I haven't checked that in depth.

The fix is pretty easy. In the plugin configuration of the hibernate3-maven-plugin, add an implementation property to the componentProperties like this:

<plugin>
  <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
  <artifactId>hibernate3-maven-plugin</artifactId>
  <version>2.2</version>
  <configuration>
    <componentProperties>
      <implementation>annotationconfiguration</implementation>
    </componentProperties>
  </configuration>
</plugin>

This enforces the use of an AnnotationConfiguration instance.